In progress.

In progress.

This weekend I started to work on the toile for the Herjolfsnäs gown. I used cheap cotton and some good old geometry and made the parts of rectangles, triangles and trapezoids. The archeologists has concluded that the north side of the church where most of the gowns were found in Herjolfsnäs was where the poorer people were buried. That is also why they are wrapped in clothes instead of using  wooden coffins. Looking at the pictures of the gowns and knowing this makes me think that the gowns were probably constructed using a method that saves as much fabric as possible. Hence the geometry.

Things are working out excellent so far. Right now I’m sewing the toile together so that I can try it on with out a million pins in it. I’m slightly concerned that it will be to tight, but that can easily be adjusted.

The pattern is starting to look something like this pattern. I’ll be using a lovely brown wool from my stash and I’m planning to decorate it with an old tablet woven band that has been laying around far to long.

Advertisements