weaving


Schhh… did you hear that? Yep, it’s the sound of a new post being published at Cristina’s ramblings.

It’s been a while, two daughters “got in the way” of any desire or time to write anything here. I have made a few items since I last made a post so I thought I’d start slow and post a few photos and write a little about it. Here is the first one:

 

The first project for my wooden tablets that I got in October 2011 was to finish the edges of my first Herjolfsnäs gown with tablet weaving. As you can see in the picture I used two tablets and 4 warp threads. They are threaded in diagonal holes and it’s important to do one S-tablet and one Z-tablet otherwise the ribbon just want to twist. I used so yellow dyed (probably birch) wool yarn from my stash.

The finished result!

 

The pictures are from my Instagram feed so they are a bit fuzzy.

Advertisements

A couple of days ago these beautiful tablets arrived in the mail. I found them on Etsy: Ampstrike, a seller from Estonia. The size of the tablets are 5×5 cm, with a thickness of about 1,5 mm, and made from walnut and ash. The ones made from ash are slightly thicker but I don’t think that will be noticeable when I weave with both types mixed.

The first project I will use these for is finishing the edges of the sleeves on my Herjolfsnäs gown.

My latest tablet weaving project is an experiment with different weft. The tablets are threaded in three holes which makes the weft visible in certain turns. The pattern is a simple V-shape, like this one, with wool yarns (20/2 redgarn) that I dyed earlier this year.

Weft: grey wool, probably 5/2

Weft: green wool, 20/2, same as the warp. I've used two threads on the left part, and one on the right part.

Weft: white linen, 16/2

So far I really like the linen, it really makes the pattern pop out as well as giving it a subtle effect. I was disappointed with the green wool, it’s to dark and to thin. Using a double thread made the result slightly better but unfortunately it drowned out the pattern. Next up is grey linen thread.

Looking back at this project I’m sure I made some sort of promise to myself that I wouldn’t start any crazy weaving projects again… Right. This project is from the Anna Neupert book with patterns from the early 16th century. Very similar to the Birka bands. I’m doing mine in madder-red wool (that I’ve dyed myself) and a gold-like thread from DMC. Very spiffy! Takes forever! Anyone surprised?

Not much is happening at the moment aside from tablet weaving. I’ve recently got some inspiratione to continue on my golden ribbon, which is a very good thing since I actually have to a deadline with this project.

a Supernatural episode + tablet weaving = progress (add some distraction for drool-worthy Winchesterbrothers 😉 )

Excellent!

Last night I attended the shire sewing circle at Astrids place. There was six of us sitting around drinking tea and doing various textile projects or discussing upcoming woodworking plans in the shire. I started another tablet weaving project. Nothing new, I’m doing this patterns again. Their Royal Highnesses were pleased with their gifts so I decided to do some more garters. It’s an easy pattern to weave so I’m already planning my next project. It’s going to be something from the new books I got the other day. 🙂

Oh, the Herjolfsnäs gown is progressing as well. The toile fits nicely so now I need to add som sleeves to finalize the pattern.

Last week I order two tablet weaving books from Nancy Spies at Arelate Studio. They arrived today!

Brocades all the way!

Brocades all the way!

I have a sudden urge to do brocaded tablet weaving with silk and (albeit fake) gold thread! Now! I don’t have time to go to work… Must weave now… 😉

Yummy patterns by 16th century german nun Anna

Yummy patterns by 16th century german nun Anna Neuper!

Next Page »