Last weeks shire meeting had woodwork on the schedule. We made various wood needles with pretty good results. My research in nalbinding has showed several finds of bone needles for nalbinding and I don’t think it’s to far fetched to think that the also made the needles from wood. And the good thing about wood needles is that the only get better the more you us them, it has all to do with the natural grease in the wool.

Biorns needle

Biorns needle

So, back to my woodworking. The wood I had was from a linden and I used a simple knife (morakniv) and lots of smoothing paper. That’s the trick when you aren’t that used to wood working – you just have to use the smoothing paper a lot more! ūüôā The holes are made with a modern drilling machine. All the medieval bone needles that I have seen have round holes like this one.

I ended up making two needles and I am pleased with the result. The still need some more smoothing paper with a finer grain so I’ll have to find some at home. Then I’ll use some ¬†linseed oil and the needle will be ready to use!

Lots of sanding...

Lots of sanding...

Nalbounding sock with annoying hole.

Nalbinding sock with annoying hole.

I might have mentioned a while back that mending my nalbinded socks was on my to-do list. Yesterday I gave it my first try. Wasn’t really sure how to proceed so I found some left over yarn and sewed a couple of times over the hole with big stitches. Then I secured the stitches with several knots. It became quite bulky but I figured it with even out when I full the sock.

Mending stitches on the right side of the sock.

Mending stitches on the right side of the sock.

Wrong side of the sock.

Wrong side of the sock.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then I fulled the sock with lukewarm water and regular Swedish soap (Gr√∂ns√•pa). It definitely got a lot less bulky and more fuzzy. But I can still see parts of the stitches so I’ll probably have another go with the soap tomorrow.

Right side of sock, first try at fulling.

Right side of sock, first try at fulling.

Annoying fact: When I looked at the sock today when it hade dried I noticed another, much smaller, hole-to-be. Bah – I’ll try to full it together without any stitches. It might work.