Not much is happening at the moment aside from tablet weaving. I’ve recently got some inspiratione to continue on my golden ribbon, which is a very good thing since I actually have to a deadline with this project.
a Supernatural episode + tablet weaving = progress (add some distraction for drool-worthy Winchesterbrothers 😉 )
Last night I attended the shire sewing circle at Astrids place. There was six of us sitting around drinking tea and doing various textile projects or discussing upcoming woodworking plans in the shire. I started another tablet weaving project. Nothing new, I’m doing this patterns again. Their Royal Highnesses were pleased with their gifts so I decided to do some more garters. It’s an easy pattern to weave so I’m already planning my next project. It’s going to be something from the new books I got the other day. 🙂
Oh, the Herjolfsnäs gown is progressing as well. The toile fits nicely so now I need to add som sleeves to finalize the pattern.
Last week I order two tablet weaving books from Nancy Spies at Arelate Studio. They arrived today!
I have a sudden urge to do brocaded tablet weaving with silk and (albeit fake) gold thread! Now! I don’t have time to go to work… Must weave now… 😉
I just got home from our shire meeting were we off loaded the last stuff from the event. It was a great weekend even though I was coughing quite a bit. I tried to focus on doing the dishes in the kitchen instead of cooking and it worked out fine.
Met a lot of friends and had a good time and reflected over the fact that this is the first time in six years that I was neither the head cook or the event steward – freaky but very relaxing! 🙂
After a long break from SCA (mainly focusing in my own crafts and the shire) I’m really looking forward to going to events again. Next time will be Luciafesten in Styringheim in December.
Elsa made my day when she gave me her Crafty Challenge. She had written a song which she preformed for me and all the others during the feast. She totally surprised me and I was very flattered of all the nice things she sung about me!
I delivered my gifts to the Prince and Princess of Nordmark. It was four tablet woven silk garters that they can use as tokens for the new members of the Order of the Golden Ribbon. They were very pleased and I was happy to se two of the garters finding new owners during court. I promised the Princess that I’ll weave more and hopefully there will be a few ready in December so that I can bring them with me to Luciafesten.
I uploaded the documentation as well as another picture in the weaving section.
I started a new weaving project. This time it’s inspired of a finding in the Textiles and Clothings book from MoL. It’s a simple striped band with a little twist. The tablets are threaded in groups of three, first S then Z then S again and so on. It gives the band a striped effect along the band as well. I’ve previously woven this pattern for a belt for myself. This time I choose a thinner silk and used more tablets so the width of the band is 14 mm.
I told you last week about my third attempt at the tablet weaving experiment (further known as TWE). This weekend I finished weaving and the band turn out great!The warp is silk and the weft is linen. I really dislike having linen thread in the warp when I weave so this was sort of a compromise which worked out like a charm.
The ribbon is approximately 2,5 cm wide and really soft. Now I just wash and iron it to make it even more shiny, as well as making some notes in my pattern book about the project. I’ll make sure to write a small documentation for the TWE page as well.
The picture is a bit blurry on my computer for some reason, but if you click on it you’ll get the large and un-blurry version. 🙂
Haven’t had much inspiration to do anything SCA-related lately. I’ve felt it before and I know I’ll find inspiration again. Went to some local second hand stores a couple of days ago and made quit a bargain.
I got a bobbin winder for 20 kr (approx. $ 2.5) – I don’t think the old lady knew what it was. I new one costs about 500 kr ($ 60)! The rigid heddle and the “garnsticka” (anyone know the English term?) is always useful weaving tools.
This weekend I’ll be going to Bothild for some natural dyeing. We’ll be dyeing wool and silk with walnuts, madder, cochineal (carmine), roots of galium and other stuff we can find in the garden/forest. Sigrid and Egil will also be there and I haven’t seen them for I while so that will be fun too!
Hopefully I’ll get the supplies tomorrow and then I can start pre-mordanting the yarn with alum.
I’ve updated the blog with a new page: The tablet weaving experiment. It’s been quite a while since I started this project but I’ve been to lazy to publish any pictures or documentation. A couple of weeks ago I finally washed and ironed the ribbons and took some pictures – voila! One less UFO!
Next I’m going to weave the pattern with silk thread. I have red and yellow but I’ll have to substitute the grey for white or some other appropriate colour.
On another note, I’m watching a movie – the Other Boleyn Girl. Pretty good so far, although I’m partial to anything featuring Natalie Portman… 🙂